You sneak up behind the soldier as he stamps on the repair colonies crawling out of the vents, noises of effort and disgust escaping from his vox. You wrap your arms languidly around his ridiculously amplified shoulders and..\n\n[[Snap his neck.|CryoBare]]\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Stab him with your tail.|CryoTail]]<<endif>>\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Disembowel him with your talons.|CryoTalons]]<<endif>>
[[A heart of ice.]]
<<set $enemies -= 1>>Your tail spike whips through the helmet of a soldier, killing him instantly.\n\nThe others look up at the sound and start firing wildly at the ceiling. [[You drop down into their midst.|attack2]]\n\n<<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>\n
It sails through the air. \n\nShots ripple through the fabric around you, tearing at the fragile atmosphere and sucking it hungrily out into the void.\n\n[[The bomb continues.]]
<<set $fog = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the injection pad to your arm. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but you know it's done its job when it drops onto the desk, withered and dead.\n\n[[You have a Fog Sacs.|Best get prepared.]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>A quick swipe of your talons detatches helmet and head, sending them spinning off into a corner. <<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 4>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 1>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
You whip your tail around, snipping off his head as he pulls the trigger, slumping to his knees.\n\nYou topple backwards with a scream, bathed in orange flame. The other soldiers jostle closer, filling your body with ammunition.\n\n[[You have died.]]
The soldier looks down in shock as your glistening vertebrae jut from his chest, a gore-tipped tail waving idly behind him. You shake free of the dead weight and whip around to face the next, already lining up his weapon to set you aflame.\n\n<<if $fogged gt 0>>\n[[Attack him with your tail.|tail2]]\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Attack him with your talons.|talons2]]<<endif>>\n\n\n<<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>>\n\n<<else>>He raises his weapon, bathing you in flame.\n\n[[You have died.]]<<endif>>\n\n
A hail of fat metal slugs tears through the gossamer canopy, the suction of space widening the wound as it draws a howling gale out through it. You tumble backwards, the soldier pressed to your chest.\n\nYou spiral through the void together, your blood mingling in a mutual nova. As your vision fades, you are left with the image of the man's panicked eyes through the visor, with your ships mirroring your antagonistic embrace behind him.\n\n[[You have died.]]
<<silently>><<set $engidone = "true">><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>The soldier crumples to the floor, his visoring gazing back up at you accusingly. You step on it as you move closer to [[inspect the device]].
It sails through the air. \n\nShots ripple through the fabric around you, tearing at the fragile atmosphere and sucking it hungrily out into the void.\n\nThe bomb continues.\n\nYou spin around, pushing your enhanced muscles to the limit as you leap on all fours, bouncing yourself off of ribs on the walls, floor, ceiling, zig-zagging the tight octagonal tunnel in a bouncing horizontal dive.\n\nYou can feel the air thinning.\n\nShots rip through your limbs, your torso. You stagger, bouncing roughly against the plastic sheeting, tearing great rips from it, only your momentum keeping you from being sucked out into space. \n\n[[...|tunnelend]]
[[An eternity of ice.|wake2]]
It will take a long time to recover, this far from a star.\n\n<<return>>
<<silently>><<set $engidone = "true">><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>You bisect the soldier's spine with your talons, before pulling him back to drive an elbow spur down into his forehead. With that done, you let him slump to the floor and [[inspect the device]].
<<set $fogged = 4>>You squeeze your fog-glands, exhaling a thick, inky fog. The troopers fire blindly at the spot you were at last, but you've already moved..\n\n<<if $setae eq "true">>[[To the ceiling.|ceiling1]]<<endif>>\n[[Into their midst.|attack2]]
<<set $enemies += 5>>The ship reports the strangers have latched on. It asks if you want to open the port, or force them to cut their way through.\n\n[[Open the port.]]\n[[Keep it shut.]]
<<set $talons = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the injection pad to your arm. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but you know it's done its job when it drops onto the desk, withered and dead.\n\n[[You have Talons.|Best get prepared.]]
The Cryo Suite is a mess; the cocoon itself is a trampled husk of broken canopy and draining arteries surrounded by crumpled detritious. The tubes have been ripped from the walls, and a puddle of slime spreads across the moss carpet. Already [[repairs]] are underway; you can see invertibrates pouring in black rivulets from the vents, snipping away at dead tissue, carrying small items to be repaired or discarded and massing in waves against the bulkier objects. \n\n<<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
You step out <<if $lights eq "off">>into the shoal of torchlights flitting nervously around the darkness.<<else>>into clear view, your hands held in front of you.<<endif>> <<if $tail eq "true">>You decide to keep your tail tucked tight against your back for now.<<endif>> Immediately five cuboid chunks of metal are pointed in your direction, and you know that the next few seconds will decide your gamble.\n\n[["Greetings."|SoldSpeak]]\n[["What is the meaning of this?"|SoldSpeak]]\n[["What the hell do you think you're doing boarding my ship?"|SoldSpeak]]\n[["I surrender unconditionally."|SoldSpeak]]
The soldiers bristle beneath their armour, shoulderpads the size of your ribcage clanking against domed helms. The one at the front barks a command, stepping forward from the group. He takes careful aim at you, and says something.\n\n[["<kltthr9: $&j'k00 != ?/Zzzxch. @@t#.>"|NoTrans]]
<<set $enemies -= 1>>You grasp the man's helmet and twist it sharply until you hear the muffled snap of his spine. His scream of surprise is cut off prematurely and he collapses to the floor, dead.\n\nYou can hear his companion coming, alerted by the noise.\n\n[[Hide yourself in ambush.]]\n[[Storm through the doorway.]]
The Perils of Being an Intergalactic Wallflower
You have time to prepare <<print $slots>> infections. Which will you prepare?\n\n<<if $darts eq "false">>[[Ocular Darts]]<<endif>>\n<<if $talons eq "false">>[[Talons]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "false">>[[Tail]]<<endif>>\n\n[[return|Best get prepared.]]
You have time to prepare <<print $slots>> infections. Which will you prepare?\n\n<<if $reflexes eq "false">>[[Predictive Reflexes]]<<endif>>\n\n[[return|Best get prepared.]]
<<set $enemies -= 1>>You draw your elbow-blade up through the man's back, feeling the satisfying rip of muscles. He lets out a shuddering gasp, falling to his knees before pitching face-first onto the floor.\n\nYou can hear his companion returning.\n\n[[Hide in the remains of the coccoon]]\n<<if $setae eq "true">>[[Hide on the ceiling]]<<endif>>\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Hide in the vents]]<<endif>>
[[Toes of ice.|toes2]]
Eyes rotating blindly behind lids welded shut with temperature. Blood pumping for the first time in millenia. Red, living warmth permeating long-forgotten limbs.\n\n[[Awaken.]]
This injection will take root in your tearducts, and begin synthesising protein darts that can paralyse and hypnotise your foes, as well as appropriate musculature to fire them.\n\nThe colony will link with your basic [[HUD]] infection to assist with aiming, but you will still have to be wary of the body armour the invaders are wearing.\n\n[[inject|injectdarts]] [[nope|View your weapon infections.]]
The weapon-blisters would risk damaging your own ship if they fired at such a range.\n\n<<return>>
You rocket out into the stunned marine, who showers the ceiling with barking automatic rounds as he falls onto his back. You wrestle the gun away from yourself and [[hit him|hithim2]].\n\nHe lets out a distorted yell through the metal mesh at the front of his helmet.
You come face-to-face with the other soldier in the doorway. You're so close you can register the surprise in his eyes through his visor.\n\n[[You attack instantly. He attacks instantly.|sploosh]]
Cells that eat bacteria, foreign particles and dead and dying cells.\n\nA security upgrade.\n\n<<return>>
<<set $darts = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the injection pad to your arm. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but you know it's done its job when it drops onto the desk, withered and dead.\n\n[[You have Ocular Darts.|Best get prepared.]]
[[Bones of ice.]]
<<set $enemies -= 1>>You embrace the man warmly as you push your tail through his spine. He inhales sharply, his breath bubbling behind the vox.\n\nYou shake the corpse off your tail. His companion seems to be returning.\n\n[[Hide in the remains of the coccoon]]\n<<if $setae eq "true">>[[Hide on the ceiling]]<<endif>>\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Hide in the vents]]<<endif>>
You fill the air with gouts of black smoke. The soldiers fire blindly at the position you were in last, but you've already moved. They huddle back to back in the smoke, torches stabbing into the darkness with little effect. Like this, it's a simple matter to..\n\n<<if $talons eq "false">>[[Sneak up beside them and snap their necks.|FarmDoubleSnap]]<<else>>[[Sneak up beside them and rip off their heads.|FarmDoubleSnap]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Slice off their heads in one swoop of your tail.|FarmDoubleTail]]<<endif>>\n<<if $setae eq "true">>[[Ambush them from above.|FarmDoubleCeiling]]<<endif>>\n
You wake up gradually, your mind slowly coming round to the idea that the pulsing, wet room around you is reality. In this way, the burst of adrenaline is reduced to a slow burn of gnawing panic. \n\n[[Lots of things are very wrong.]]
You bounce your bodyweight from foot to foot, watching as his gun raises achingly slowly. You bring one hand down to push it aside and sweep it up under his jaw..\n\nIn those few seconds, his companion bathes you in flame. You stagger back through the corridor, screetching and burning long, blackened scars against the walls. He keeps the beam on you until you are a withered pile of ash and bones.\n\n[[You have died.]]
YOU HAVE DIED.\n\n[[Hints|Hints]]\n[[Restart|Start]]\n[[Go Back to Preparation]]
You scrabble for your <<cyclinglink "rifle" "comm-bead" "arm-cannon" "datanet" "killswitch">>.\n\nThey are gone. You are defenceless. The creature brushes a hand against your cheek, and you can feel the crevices where long, bony claws are doubtless secreted. It opens its mouth.\n\n[["What is your name?"|What is your name?]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>With a feline mid-air twist, you land with all four limbs on his head. The man crumples beneath your weight with a sickening crunch. Rising slowly from a crouch, <<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>you step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>you step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 4>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 1>>analyse the situation. The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>breath a sigh of relief. That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
You're quietly proud you managed to pull that off.\n\n<<return>>
You tear out into the open. Both soldiers raise their weapons, a blunt machinegun and a weighty collection of pipes and containers; a crude flame or chemical weapon. \n\nThe gunner is closest. \n\nYou close the distance and..\n\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Tear his face off with your talons|FarmTalons]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Sweep his legs with your tail.|FarmTail]]<<endif>>\n<<if $darts eq "true">>[[Shoot him at point blank range with a dart.|FarmDart]]<<endif>>\n<<if $reflexes eq "true">>[[Wait for an opening to counterattack.|FarmReflexes]]<<endif>>\n[[Push your thumbs through his visor.|FarmBare]]\n\n<<if $darts eq "true">>\nYou hang back, taking a split second to..\n<<else>><<if $fog eq "true">>You hang back, taking a split second to..<<endif>><<endif>>\n\n<<if $darts eq "true">>[[Line up a dart shot.|FarmDart]]<<endif>>\n<<if $fog eq "true">>[[Fill the air with black fog.|FarmFog]]<<endif>>
Millions of tiny hairs arranged in rows along your feet and hands, allowing perfect adhesion any surface. These combined with your body's basic spatial awareness & nausea suppression enhancements will make you able to climb any surface.\n\n[[inject|injectsetae]] [[nope|View your stealth infections.]]
This will heal in time.\n\n<<return>>
<<set $slots = 2>><<set $port = "open">>There's no sense in letting these pissants damage the ship. Best to find out what they want.\n\nThe ship reports [[one]] additional body aboard the ship.
You head to the Farm Suite, and bring up a list of the basic enhancements you kept on your person in deep-freeze. You kept most of them in storage save for the [[bare essentials]], as cryostasis is hard on symbiotic infections.\n\n<<if $slots gt 0>>You have time to prepare <<print $slots>> enhancements:\n\n[[View your weapon infections.]]\n[[View your stealth infections.]]\n[[View your other infections.]]<<else>><<if $port eq "open">>You have no more time to prepare, the intruders are already deep inside the ship. You [[make your way]] towards them, following the readings on your linkpad.<<else>>You have no time for further preparations, as the linkpad quietly informs you that the port has been breached. You [[make your way]] there.<<endif>><<endif>>
While the ship has a basic nervous system, you chose to forgo any intelligence past the bare minimum required. It can steer where you want to go, tell you anything it knows, and keep you alive.\n\n<<return>>
Your name is..\n\n<<cyclinglink "Θ" "theta" "platoon designation" "community" "home" "loss">> <<cyclinglink "4709" "breeding number" "training" "friendship" "loss">>.\n\n[[...|Questions1]]
You rocket out into the stunned marine, who showers the ceiling with barking automatic rounds as he falls onto his back. You wrestle the gun away from yourself and [[hit him|hithim3]].\n\nHis visor cracks.
The soldiers <<if $doors eq "locked">>burn their way through the door membranes, hacking at bone struts with crude vibromachetes, before stepping through to<<endif>> make an initial inspection of the two rooms as a trio, before leaving one in the Engine Room while the other two double back to the Farm Suite. You hang back until they have divided themselves, <<if $setae eq "true">>pressing yourself to the ceiling<<else>> hiding in an alcove in the main corridor<<endif>>.\n\n[[Follow the soldiers into the Farm Suite|Farm2]]\n[[Follow the soldier into the Engine Room|Engine2]]
One of your favourites, you've kept a Tail Symbiote around ever since a lover gifted you one many years ago. You've customized it over the years, with modified pads, fronds and suckers for pleasure, and venomous spines for combat. It wriggles sleepily in your grasp.\n\n[[attach|attachtail]] [[nope|View your weapon infections.]]
You wake up gradually, your mind slowly coming round to the idea that the pulsing, wet room around you is reality. In this way, the burst of adrenaline is reduced to a slow burn of gnawing panic. \n\n[[No.]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>Eventually he stops moving.\n\n<<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 4>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 1>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
You lash out desperately with your claws, tearing a thick gash through the man's armour, and the delicate flesh beneath. He slumps backwards, screaming and dousing you with flames as he clutches his insides.\n\n[[You have died.]]
It sails through the air. \n\nShots ripple through the fabric around you, tearing at the fragile atmosphere and sucking it hungrily out into the void.\n\nThe bomb continues.\n\nYou spin around, pushing your enhanced muscles to the limit as you leap on all fours, bouncing yourself off of ribs on the walls, floor, ceiling, zig-zagging the tight octagonal tunnel in a bouncing horizontal dive.\n\nYou can feel the air thinning.\n\nShots rip through your limbs, your torso. You stagger, bouncing roughly against the plastic sheeting, tearing great rips from it, only your momentum keeping you from being sucked out into space. \n\nThe <<if $port eq "closed">>ragged <<endif>>pout of your ship's port draws closer and closer. An ugly biological intrusion in this dead vacuum hell. The clinical steel spines zip and twang around you as they're ripped from their moorings. You can feel the floor buckle, then disappear completely.\n\n[[The tunnel is gone.]]
<<set $enemies -= 1>>Long knives of bone slide from your joints, and the ones on your fingers slice through the soldier's midsection like paper, leaving a crimson trail of gore hanging in the air. A half-second later your heel slams into his jaw, impaling him on the spur.\n\nHe collapses silently to the ground.\n\nHis companions raise their weapons <<if $fogged gt 0>>, firing blindly into the haze.<<else>>.<<endif>> There are <<print $enemies>> left. <<if $fogged gt 0>>You pick out one with a flamethrower staggering towards you.\n\n[[Slice him with your talons.|talons2]]\n[[Attack with your hands.|bare1]]\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Stab him with your tail.|tail2]]<<endif>>\n\n<<if $fogged gt 0>><<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>\n\n<<else>>One tries to take aim with a flamethrower. <<if $reflexes eq "true">>You dodge the blast, slipping in close..\n\n[[Attack him with your talons.|talons2]]\n[[Attack with your hands.|bare1]]\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Stab him with your tail.|tail2]]<<endif>>\n\n<<if $fogged gt 0>><<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>\n<<else>>You are bathed in flame, you flail wildly for a few seconds, before collapsing to the floor.\n\n[[You are dead.|You have died.]]\n<<endif>><<endif>>
Your feet protest as you force your weight through them. The intestinal tubing lining your skin start to pop off automatically, dribbles of slime ekeing from your ports. \n\nThere is a table extruded from the floor beside your pod.\n\n<<if $hasblanket eq "true" and $haslinkpad eq "true" and $hasmug eq "true">>The ship rumbles, throwing you off balance into the canopy of the pod. It crumples beneath your weight, veins disgorging purple fluid across the transparent surface.\n\nYou get to your feet.\n\n[[Ask the ship what happened.]]<<endif>>\n<<if $hasblanket eq "false">>[[Take the blanket.]]<<endif>>\n<<if $haslinkpad eq "false">>[[Take the linkpad.]]<<endif>>\n<<if $hasmug eq "false">>[[Take the mug.]]<<endif>>\n
Heads-Up Display\n\n<<return>>
You hope the ship has enough biomass to repair itself back to a stable state and still remain in hibernation long enough to reach the next galaxy.\n\n<<return>>
Metal and fibre-weave. A dead, lifeless orifice.\n\nWhat kind of a crank runs this vessel?\n\n[[The ship shakes again.]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone eq "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone eq "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>You aim carefully for one of the knee-joints in the back of the man's armour, and shoot a dart into the mesh. The bony projectile penetrates it easily and he falls forwards onto his knees, his body frozen in paralysis before a cry can escape his mouth.\n\n<<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>[[Deal with the soldier in the Cryo Suite]]<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<else>><<if $skele eq "true">>It's time to move on to the enemies in the back of the ship.\n\n[[Take the vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Take the corridor|deal with the other intruders]]<<else>>It's time to move on to the enemies in the back of the ship. You step back into the corridor and [[make your way|deal with the other intruders]] there.<<endif>><<endif>>
You make your way back along the <<if $lights eq "on">>brightly coloured<<else>>pitch-black<<endif>> corridor. You can hear the muffled sounds of destruction through the flesh of the walls, and you [[hasten your step|CryoCockEncounter]].
You rocket out into the stunned marine, who showers the ceiling with barking automatic rounds as he falls onto his back. You wrestle the gun away from yourself and [[hit him]].
You speed towards the nearest trooper and..\n\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Rip through him with your talons.|talons1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $reflexes eq "true">>[[Catch his gun arm.|reflexes1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Stab him with your tail.|tail1]]<<endif>>\n[[Attack him with your hands.|bare1]]\n\n<<if $fogged gt 0>><<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>
You take aim at the nearest trooper, and..\n\n<<if $darts eq "true">>[[Shoot a dart through his helmet lense|dart1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $fog eq "true">>[[Fill the air with black fog|fog1]]<<endif>>
Fingers grasping you. Warmth. Brief snatches of conciousness.\n\n[[An unfamiliar ceiling.]]
<<set $groupattack = "true">>You feel the air beside your head crackle with heat as a metal slug goes whirring past you, burying itself in the loamy floor of your ship.\n\nYou dive forwards into the squad leader, and..\n\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Disembowel him.|talons1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Impale him.|tail1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "false" and $talons eq "false">>[[Crush his throat.|bare1]]<<endif>>
<<if $vent eq "true">><<set $vent = "false">>The room is the same humid room temperature as the rest of the ship, <<if $lights eq "on">>bathed in the comforting glow of the iridescent algae of the ship lights<<else>>bathed only in the piercing torchlight of the two intruders<<endif>>. The soldiers seem rudely out of place, their thick plate armour and boxy weapons speaking of a robotic masculinity lost in the distant past. The scene is broken as one trooper puts his boot through the dented dragonfly-wing carapace of the Cryo Booth, smashing it into shards and covering his boot in purple blood. He takes out a grenade, but his companion grabs his arm and shakes his head. They begin smashing in the control panel with their weapons, sensitive nodules and aureoli [[bursting]] beneath the butts of their weapons.\n\nOne makes his way back into the corridor, heading towards the Cockpit. <<if $doors eq "locked">>He sticks a [[grenade]] to the door and steps through after the smoke has cleared.<<endif>> His companion continues his work smashing in the cryosleep organs.\n\n[[Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]]\n[[Deal with the soldier in the Cryo Suite]]<<else>>You peer through <<if $doors eq "locked">>a gnarled crater bored through<<endif>> the door to the Cryo Suite. The room is the same humid room temperature as the rest of the ship, <<if $lights eq "on">>bathed in the comforting glow of the iridescent algae of the ship lights<<else>>bathed only in the piercing torchlight of the two intruders<<endif>>. The soldiers seem rudely out of place, their thick plate armour and boxy weapons speaking of a robotic masculinity lost in the distant past. The scene is broken as one trooper puts his boot through the dented dragonfly-wing carapace of the Cryo Booth, smashing it into shards and covering his boot in purple blood. He takes out a grenade, but his companion grabs his arm and shakes his head. They begin smashing in the control panel with their weapons, sensitive nodules and aureoli [[bursting]] beneath the butts of their weapons.\n\nOne makes his way back into the corridor, heading towards the Cockpit. <<if $doors eq "locked">>He sticks a [[grenade]] to the door and steps through after the smoke has cleared.<<endif>> His companion continues his work smashing in the cryosleep organs.\n\n[[Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]]\n[[Deal with the soldier in the Cryo Suite]]<<endif>>
<<set $hasblanket = "true">>You wrap the gleaming blanket around your shoulders. The amoebal ooze in the pockets awakens at your warmth and starts feeding and multiplying, creating yet more heat to soothe your shivering form.\n\n<<return>>
<<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $vent eq "true">><<set $vent = false>>You push yourself to the rim of the vent orifice. Repair mites are pouring around you here, flowing in thick rivers down the walls to gather around the smashed colony eggs & symbiote pens. Everything in here has been torn to shreds by jagged lines of automatic weapon fire, angry leaking wounds cauterized to blackened scars by the flamethrower carried by one of the soldiers.\n\nThere are two of them in here, hunting around for any pristine traces they might have overlooked. You feel a gut kick of nausea and anger; while none of your symbiotes were sentient, you still felt a strong emotional attachment to many of them, and to see them lying in pink, bloody rags smeared across the floor drives you to [[burst from the vent|FarmBurst]] and rip the soldiers to shreds.\n\n<<else>>You sneak to the edge of the door and peer in cautiously. Everything in here has been torn to shreds by jagged lines of automatic weapon fire, angry leaking wounds cauterized to blackened scars by the flamethrower carried by one of the soldiers. Repair mites are pouring from the vents, flowing in thick rivers down the walls to gather around the smashed colony eggs & symbiote pens. \n\nThere are two of them in here, hunting around for any pristine traces they might have overlooked. You feel a gut kick of nausea and anger; while none of your symbiotes were sentient, you still felt a strong emotional attachment to many of them, and to see them lying in pink, bloody rags smeared across the floor drives you to [[burst from the doorway|FarmBurst]] and rip the soldiers to shreds.<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 5>>There are two soldiers in here. They waste no time in smashing the delicate colony eggs and symbiote pens, suspension fluid and fuzzy germ colonies swilling around their boots in a rich, short-lived broth. You feel a surge of anger. While none of your symbiotes are sentient, you still feel a strong emotional attachment to many of them. You [[burst into the room|FarmBurst]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>The last two enemies are here, hunting around for any pristine traces they might have overlooked. You feel a gut kick of nausea and anger; while none of your symbiotes were sentient, you still felt a strong emotional attachment to many of them, and to see them lying in pink, bloody rags smeared across the floor drives you to [[burst from the doorway|FarmBurst]] and rip the soldiers to shreds.<<endif>><<else>>There are two soldiers in here. They waste no time in smashing the delicate colony eggs and symbiote pens, suspension fluid and fuzzy germ colonies swilling around their boots in a rich, short-lived broth. You feel a surge of anger. While none of your symbiotes are sentient, you still feel a strong emotional attachment to many of them. You [[burst into the room|FarmBurst]].<<endif>><<endif>>
Polymorph\nPolymorphism\nThe Perils of Retrofuturism\nRetro Future War\nI Hate Space Marines\nThe Perils of Being an Intergalactic Wallflower\nI Am Not A Robot
<<set $enemies -= 1>>You extend yourself down until you're stood, hanging from the soles of your feet. You grasp the nearest trooper's head to your chest, and twist quickly.\n\nHe drops dead instantly, and his squadmates begin firing at you. [[You drop down into their midst.|attack2]]\n\n<<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>\n
<<set $hasmug = "true">>The mug reacts to your hand, sweating a bacterial concoction into its inner space and heating it.\n\nIt is rich and foamy, like a packaged soup or yeast drink. It warms your body as you drink it.\n\n<<return>>
You are one of the countless billions of the human empire, your body distorted beyond recognition by generations of viral genetics. You have lived a life of freedom from want, the luxury to live the life you choose, in a body of your choice. \n\nA basic right secured for generations.\n\n[[You chose exile.|Take the linkpad.]]
[[A heart of ice.|heart2]]
The soldier peers around the room, pointing his gun accusingly in all angles; horizontally, anyway.\n\n<<if $darts eq "true">>[[Shoot him with a dart]]<<endif>>\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Stab him with your tail]]<<endif>>\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Rip off his head]]<<endif>>\n[[Drop onto his head]]
The Cockpit is a vast blister of glassy canopy, fringed with veins and with fronds of control nodes sprouting from the walls like verdant funghi. The soldier seems confused, looking around and almost spotting you as you <<if $setae eq "true">> press yourself against the ceiling above the doorway.<<else>>secrete yourself beneath a bulbous colony of thrust controls.<<endif>>\n\n[[Snap his neck.|stlthbare1]]\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Stab him with your tail.|stlthtail1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Slice him with your talons|stlthtalons1]]<<endif>>\n<<if $dart eq "true">>[[Poison him with a dart.|stlthdart1]]<<endif>>
<<set $setae = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the injection pad to your arm. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but you know it's done its job when it drops onto the desk, withered and dead.\n\n[[You have Setae.|Best get prepared.]]
Black and white, and a little fuzzy. It works, though it gives you a headache if you use it for too long.\n\n<<return>>
<<if $who2 eq 1>><<set $who2 += 1>>"You are one of the soldiers who attacked my ship. You attempted to blow it up. You seem to be human. I was hoping you could tell me."\n\n[["Maybe it will come in time."|Questions]]<<else>><<set $who2 -= 1>>"I am a human like you, though our lineages seem very distinct. I have been drifting in space for thousands of years, in a kind of.. Well, for my own reasons."\n\n[["I guess you could say I'm your host for now."|Questions]]<<endif>>
<<set $damagereport = "true">>Antibodies have been released to the site. There is something lodged in the wound.\n\n<<return>>
[[Fingers of ice.|fingers2]]
A rough estimate from your translation colony is about 2 minutes. It doesn't look like the counter has that long.\n\n<<return>>
<<set $darts = "false"; $talons = "false"; $fog = "false"; $setae = "false"; $skele = "false"; $infrared = "false"; $reflexes = "false"; $tail = "false"; $groupattack = "false">><<if $port eq "open">><<set $slots = 2>><<else>><<set $slots = 4>><<endif>>[[...|Best get prepared.]]
You curl up into a foetal ball, half-hidden behind & amongst the iridescent shards of broken carapace. You smear yourself in the purple fluids leaking into the chamber, before relaxing into total stillness as the second soldier bursts into the room. He waves his gun in frantic circles high over your head, searching for a culprit for the corpse at his feet.\n\n[[Pounce from the shattered coccoon|Burst out of the vent]]\n<<if $darts eq "true">>[[Shoot him with a dart|shootdart2]]<<endif>>
<<set $enemies -= 2>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>>You slide up beside them in the dense charcoal fog, like you're about to invite them for a drink.\n\nYou snap their necks instead, though. Space Marines aren't your type.\n\n<<if $enemies eq 1>>There is 1 enemy left. You head to the [[Engine Room|Engine2]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>You have dealt with all the enemies in this part of the ship. Time to deal with the other two.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>[[You head back along the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<endif>>\n\n<<else>><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>There are three more enemies left. You need to deal with the one back in the [[Engine Room|Engine2]]<<else>>All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. Your linkpad repors the ship will be sitting dead in space for weeks, with only the bare minimum of functions to keep you alive. With a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
You cringe at the thought of thin canopy on the other side. Thankfully the explosion isn't followed by a howling rush of wind, so you suppose the cockpit is mostly undamaged by the blast.\n\n<<return>>
With this you'll be able to squeeze and contort your body into the tightest of spaces. The sound of your footsteps will also be reduced thanks to the increase in dampening.\n\n[[inject|injectskele]] [[nope|View your stealth infections.]]
<<silently>><<set $engidone = "true">><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>The soldier croaks in horror as your tail blade waves from side to side in front of him, emerging from a bloody hole in his chest. You pull him back, leaving him draped across the floor while you [[inspect the device]].
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>A bolt of brown protein rudely juts from the man's mesh-coated jugular and he collapses to the floor with a heavy clunk of metal plate. <<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 4>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 1>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
Whisperbat
<<if $where2 eq 1>><<set $where2 += 1>>"You're on my ship. It's still in one piece, and slowly repairing itself.\n\n[["You're my guest."|Questions]]<<else>><<set $where2 += 1>>"Your companions who came aboard the ship are still being repaired. \n\n[["You were the first to awaken."|Questions]]<<else>><<set $where2 = 1>>"Your ship departed shortly after our encounter, on a course back to the Milky Way.\n\n[["They took considerable damage."|Questions]]<<endif>>
(function(){ var render2 = Passage.prototype.render; Passage.prototype.render = function () { var b = render2.call(this); var t = this.tags.join(" "); document.body.setAttribute("data-tags", t); return b; }}());
You set the ship's external sensors around the port to active scanning.\n\nCrude plastic-metal equipment shields the intruders from your external sensors. You'll have to wait for them to board the ship to get a closer look. From what you can see, they look ridiculously anachronistic. Their weaponry matches their appearance; projectile launchers, flame and energy weapons, made from the same dead materials as their armour.\n\n<<return>>
<<if $defences eq "not clicked">>[[Activate internal defences.]]<<endif>>\n<<if $doors eq "unlocked">>[[Lock the inner doors to your genetic code.|lock the inner doors]]<<else>>[[Unlock the inner doors.|lock the inner doors]]<<endif>>\n<<if $lights eq "on">>[[Turn off the lights.]]<<else>>[[Turn on the lights.|turnoffthelights]]<<endif>>\n[[Scan the intruders.]]\n\n[[return|Keep it shut.]]
<<set $vent = "true">><<if $engidone eq "false">>You climb on through the ventilation system. A constant river of repair mites flows over and around you, the sensation of millions of tiny feet and the occasional neon dots of [[tracermites|tracermite]] your only indication that you aren't completely alone in the darkness. The muscular walls press against your sides, squeezing your skeletal cartilage into uncomfortable new arrangements. You force yourself along, digging your heels into the wet skin around you and slowly making your way to the back of the ship.\n\nYou come across an intersection in the vent; To the [[left|Farm2]], there is an opening to the Farm Suite. You can hear the brittle crunch of splintering bone furniture.\n\n[[Further along|Engine2]] the tunnel is the Engine Room. Nauseous gloops and rumbling sounds echo fiercely along the vent from here, the ship architecture spasming and groaning in pain.\n<<else>>You climb on through the ventilation system. A constant river of repair mites flows over and around you, the sensation of millions of tiny feet and the occasional neon dots of [[tracermites|tracermite]] your only indication that you aren't completely alone in the darkness. The muscular walls press against your sides, squeezing your skeletal cartilage into uncomfortable new arrangements. You force yourself along, digging your heels into the wet skin around you and slowly making your way to the back of the ship.\n\nYou push your way around to the opening to the [[Farm Suite|Farm2]]. You can hear the brittle crunch of splintering bone furniture.<<endif>>
<<set $skele = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the injection pad to your arm. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but you know it's done its job when it drops onto the desk, withered and dead.\n\n[[You have a Flexible Skeleton.|Best get prepared.]]
It's hard to get an angle from up here that isn't coated in thick, ugly metal plating.\n\n<<return>>
"You're the last trace of the Dark Ages. Your ship and your foul technology and your.. Everything about you is wrong! We thought we'd cleansed ourselves of that traces ago, but then we picked up your ship and.."\n\nYou trail off as another wave of [[memories]] wash over you. The creature sighs and stretches.\n\n[["You can tell me more later."|Questions]]
There's no sense in letting these pissants damage the ship. Best to find out what they want.\n\nThe ship reports [[two]] additional bodies aboard the ship.
<<silently>><<set $hasblanket = "false"; $hasmug = "false"; $haslinkpad = "false"; $damagereport = "false"; $darts = "false"; $talons = "false"; $fog = "false"; $setae = "false"; $skele = "false"; $infrared = "false"; $reflexes = "false"; $tail = "false"; $slots = 0; $port = "closed"; $doors = "unlocked"; $lights = "on"; $defences = "not clicked"; $enemies = 0; $fogged = 0; $groupattack = "false", $vent = "false", $farmengidone = "false", $cryocockdone = "false", $engidone = "false">><<endsilently>><html><font size = 20>THE PERILS OF BEING</font></html>\n \n\n<html><font size = 20>AN INTERGALACTIC WALLFLOWER</font></html>\n\n[[Triggers]] | [[Inspirations & Credits|Inspirations]] | [[Hints (Semi-Spoilers)|Hints]] | <html><a href="http://ratbagbat.tumblr.com/post/43260679899/games-ive-made">Other Games</a></html> | <html><a href="https://twitter.com/whisperbat">Feedback/Bugs</a></html>\n\n[[Start|Start2]]
A mind frozen into utter stillness, with no room for the lavish ripples of dreams, or even thoughts.\n\n[[Crackling.]]
You feel a jolt of panic as the lifelong comfort of speed-of-thought translation is rudely ripped out from beneath you. Not only do these people speak no dialect you have any knowledge of, it's not even close enough for your translation infection to take a rough guess past the most rudimentary grammar, leaving you naked as you face the abrupt muzzle of an automated cannon.\n\n<<if $reflexes eq "true">>[[Luckily you're faster than them.|AttackAlt]]<<else>>[[You have died.]]<<endif>>
You wake up gradually, your mind slowly coming round to the idea that the pulsing, wet room around you is reality. In this way, the burst of adrenaline is reduced to a slow burn of gnawing panic. \n\n[[Something is very wrong.]]
[[Fingers of ice.]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>You burst out of the vent, but leave your legs anchored against the muscular inner wall. Pinning his arms to his torso in a tight embrace, you drag the soldier back inside with you. He lets out a distorted scream, struggling desperately within the tight confines, but the combination of his bulky armour and unaugmented skeleton result in a sickening series of crunches. \n\nYou kick the corpse out of the way<<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 4>>. The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 1>>. The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>. That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
<<set $enemies -= 1>>Gripping the ceiling with your palms, you turn your body over in the air, one heel spur sweeping in a violent arc through the soldier's faceplate.\n\nThe others look up at the sound and start firing wildly at the ceiling. [[You drop down into their midst.|attack2]]\n\n<<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>\n
You choke back a sob as a wave of memory and emotion engulfs you. You stare up at the ceiling, unwilling to meet the creature's emerald gaze as [[hot spikes]] start to prickle at your tearducts.\n\nEventually it speaks again.\n\n[["Why did you attack me?"|Why did you attack me?]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone eq "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone eq "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>You stab your tail through the man's neck, feeling the satisfying crunch of vertebrae pushed aside by the spearlike spike of chitin. You wiggle your tail about a little, and are rewarded with a muffled thunk as his head hits the loam beneath.\n\n<<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>[[Deal with the soldier in the Cryo Suite]]<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<else>><<if $skele eq "true">>It's time to move on to the enemies in the back of the ship.\n\n[[Take the vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Take the corridor|deal with the other intruders]]<<else>>It's time to move on to the enemies in the back of the ship. You step back into the corridor and [[make your way|deal with the other intruders]] there.<<endif>><<endif>>
It sails through the air. \n\nShots ripple through the fabric around you, tearing at the fragile atmosphere and sucking it hungrily out into the void.\n\nThe bomb continues.\n\nYou spin around, pushing your enhanced muscles to the limit as you leap on all fours, bouncing yourself off of ribs on the walls, floor, ceiling, zig-zagging the tight octagonal tunnel in a bouncing horizontal dive.\n\n[[You can feel the air thinning.]]
There's no sense in letting these pissants damage the ship. Best to find out what they want.\n\nThe ship reports five additional [[bodies]] aboard the ship.
Captured by the enemy. Crying in front of the enemy. \n\nShame pours over you. \n\nWhy are you acting like this?\n\n<<return>>
Wet data congeals on the surface of the pad.\n\n<<if $damagereport eq "false">>[[The hull is damaged.]]<<else>>[[The other ship has extended a docking umbilical.]]<<endif>>\n[[The ship's velocity has been reduced dramatically.]]\n[[The other ship is in close proximity.]]\n
<<set $slots = 4>><<set $port = "closed">>You're going to need all the time you can get to prepare. This is not a chance encounter; Someone chased you down.\n\nYou have some time to set the ship up before they break through, so you tamper with the [[linkpad]] and consider your options as you make your way down the corridor to [[kit up|Best get prepared.]].
Your ship has been hauled over by another. The scale and materials suggest a human design, if a spectacularly crude and eccentric one. \n\nIt answers no hails.\n\n<<return>>
You climb quickly across the ceiling as the soldiers press themselves into a tight huddle in the fog.\n\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[You stab down with your tail.|ceilingstab]]<<endif>>\n<<if $taons eq "true">>[[You kick down with a spur.|ceilingkick]]<<endif>>\n[[You reach down to grasp a helmetted head.|ceilingsnap]]\n\n<<if $fogged gt 0>><<set $fogged -=1>><<if $fogged gt 0>>The fog disappates a little. You haven't much time.<<else>>The fog has cleared.<<endif>><<endif>>
<<set $tail = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the tail's mouth to your coccyx. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but a sensation of pins and needles lasts for a few minutes as it attaches itself to your central nervous system. \n\nYour brain is used to its presence from the past, and it only takes a minute or so before it swings freely under your control.\n\n[[You have a Tail.|Best get prepared.]]
[[Toes of ice.]]
Getting into fights with groups of enemies is dangerous. \n\nYou are not invulnerable.\n\nUnarmed attacks on enemies work fine, but are slower and so leave you vulnerable to other attackers.\n\nTry leaving yourself more time to prepare.\n\nIf you think the story has spontaneously restarted, stick with it.\n\n<<return>>
<<set $enemies -= 1>>You reach around and rip out his throat with your talons. He makes a muffled gargling mewl as he collapses to the floor.\n\nYou can hear his companion coming, alerted by the noise.\n\n[[Hide yourself in ambush.]]\n[[Storm through the doorway.]]
[[Weeks pass.|ORISIT]]
<<if $enemies eq 1>>You sneak up behind the last enemy. He appears to be arming a bomb of some sort, lodged deep in a weeping wound in one of the engine's auxilliary stomachs. <<if $lights eq "off">>There is a portable lamp on the floor beside him, illuminating his work. <<endif>>He is oblivious to your presence.\n\n[[Snap his neck|EngiBare]]\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Impale him with your tail.|EngiTail]]<<endif>>\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Slash him with your talons|EngiTalons]]<<endif>><<else>>There is a soldier here, crouched in <<if $lights eq "on">>the gloom<<else>>the darkness, a portable lamp illuminating his work<<endif>>. He appears to be arming a bomb of some sort, lodged deep in a weeping wound in one of the engine's auxilliary stomachs.\n\n[[Snap his neck|EngiBare]]\n<<if $tail eq "true">>[[Impale him with your tail.|EngiTail]]<<endif>>\n<<if $talons eq "true">>[[Slash him with your talons|EngiTalons]]<<endif>>\n<<endif>>
"I'm glad to hear that. It was getting lonely out here."\n\n[[THE END|Start]]
Glands beneath your armpits that allow you to exhale a thick fog into the air, obscuring you from most means of detection and causing tears & irritation in non-protected humans. Perfect for a quick getaway or ambush.\n\n[[inject|injectfog]] [[nope|View your stealth infections.]]
<<set $enemies -= 2>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>>You rip past him at a sprint, your arm outstretched. Your claws bite deep into the hardened faceplate, shattering the visor and pressing broken glass into the soldier's eyes as you hurl him down onto the floor. His companion tracks you with his flamethrower, great billows of orange lashing out over his companion, always a split second behind.\n\nYou tuck yourself into a jump, bouncing off the wall, up against the ceiling and down onto the soldier with the flamethrower, your talons extended to the full. \n\nHe collapses with a sickening crunch, his armour punctured in multiple places.\n\n<<if $enemies eq 1>>There is 1 enemy left. You head to the [[Engine Room|Engine2]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>You have dealt with all the enemies in this part of the ship. Time to deal with the other two.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>[[You head back along the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<endif>>\n\n<<else>><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>There are three more enemies left. You need to deal with the one back in the [[Engine Room|Engine2]]<<else>>All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. Your linkpad repors the ship will be sitting dead in space for weeks, with only the bare minimum of functions to keep you alive. With a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
<<if $doors eq "unlocked">><<set $doors = "locked">>Doors locked.\n\n<<return>><<else>><<set $doors = "unlocked">>Doors unlocked.\n\n<<return>><<endif>>
It sails through the air. \n\nShots ripple through the fabric around you, tearing at the fragile atmosphere and sucking it hungrily out into the void.\n\nThe bomb continues.\n\nYou spin around, pushing your enhanced muscles to the limit as you leap on all fours, bouncing yourself off of ribs on the walls, floor, ceiling, zig-zagging the tight octagonal tunnel in a bouncing horizontal dive.\n\nYou can feel the air thinning.\n\nShots rip through your limbs, your torso. You stagger, bouncing roughly against the plastic sheeting, tearing great rips from it, only your momentum keeping you from being sucked out into space. \n\nThe <<if $port eq "closed">>ragged <<endif>>pout of your ship's port draws closer and closer. An ugly biological intrusion in this dead vacuum hell. The clinical steel spines zip and twang around you as they're ripped from their moorings. You can feel the floor buckle, then disappear completely.\n\nThe tunnel is gone. Only vacuum space surrounds you. You can feel the last of your momentum ebb, drawing you within reach of the port. It purses its lips. For a moment, you don't think it has recognised you. But then it reaches out tenderly, plucking you from the void in a delicate kiss and drawing you inside.\n\n[[...|doop]]
It will heal in time. Already you can see coagulating agents begin to form.\n\n<<return>>
You have time to prepare <<print $slots>> infections. Which will you prepare?\n\n<<if $setae eq "false">>[[Hand & Feet Setae]]<<endif>>\n<<if $fog eq "false">>[[Fog Sacs]]<<endif>>\n<<if $skele eq "false">>[[Skeletal Flexibility]]<<endif>>\n\n[[return|Best get prepared.]]
You pry your lips apart, taking off thick, frozen chunks of skin in your desperation to breath. The suspension liquid around you still fills your lungs, and you feel a rising note of panic.\n\nYou reach up, and feel the liquid level start to drop. You rub your eyes, before running your hands over the thick forests of tubing sprouting from your skull.\n\nThe liquid drains around your feet. [[Your eyes open.]]
"That's understandable."\n\n[[THE END|Start]]
Alien | Event Horizon | Biopunk | Alien vs Predator (1999 PC Game) | The Ambergris Cycle | The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game\n\nCyclinglink macro is by <html><a href="http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/user/584">L</a></html>.\n\n<<return>>
The caste responsible for relaying the ship's instructions via pheremones. These mites have a faintly luminous abdomen, so that the swarm can be easily spotted in the dark. There is about one tracermite for every hundred workers.\n\n<<return>>
You rocket out into the stunned marine, who showers the ceiling with barking automatic rounds as he falls onto his back. You wrestle the barrel away from yourself and [[hit him|hithim4]].\n\nHis chestplate buckles.
The umbilical tunnel is eerie and lifeless. Dead ribs of steel flex against wide expanses of some sort of shimmering plastic. Your step falters for a moment; you've never, ever been anywhere so.. Carefully, clinically barren. It's like running through the skeletal remains of some long-dead robotic serpent. You force yourself on faster, the bomb bleeping away the seconds in the space between steps.\n\n[[...|tunnel2]]
<<if $lights eq "on">><<set $lights = "off">>Lights off.\n\n[[return|linkpad]]<<else>><<set $lights = "on">>Lights on.\n\n[[return|linkpad]]<<endif>>
Metal, plastic and fibre-weave, mostly. Armored suits, clumsy heat & projectile weapons. All dead machinery, with no discernable AI active in their equipment. \n\nWhile their weapons are primitive, a laser, kinetic round or flame burst can still kill you.\n\n<<return>>
[[@*&||¥ _¶_ {}#!/|inspect the device]]
Your biggest problem is the bomb. You have no clue how long it has left on the timer, or what it will even do once it's finished. But given the technology and disposition of your guests, you have a rough idea.\n\nYou scoop it up at a sprint, dashing down the <<if $lights eq "off">>pitch-black <<endif>>corridor and around the intersection, back to the <<if $port eq "closed">>disfigured <<endif>>airlock. You vent a puff of pheremones into it's nostrils, <<if $port eq "closed">>banging on the wall in frustration as it complains. Eventually it opens its lips with tentative slowness, and you [[squeeze through the gap|tunnel]].<<else>>readying yourself as the tightly pursed lips [[spread open|tunnel]].<<endif>>
<<if $farmengidone eq "true">><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>[[@#‰::8)£|display]]\n\nIt beeps mechanically, a neon display flashing alien glyphs and charts, half-obscured by thick amber fluids leaking down from the wound it's embedded in. \n\nYou don't have time to [[decipher]] the text, but it's clear this isn't good.\n\nThere are 2 enemies left. <<if $skele eq "true">>You consider your options.\n\n[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>You [[head down the corridor towards the Cryo Suite & Cockpit|CorridorFarm]].<<endif>><<else>>[[@#‰::8)£|display]]\n\nIt beeps mechanically, a neon display flashing alien glyphs and charts, half-obscured by thick amber fluids leaking down from the wound it's embedded in. \n\nYou don't have time to [[decipher]] the text, but it's clear this isn't good.\n\nYou reach into the gummy wound, tugging the device free and scooping it up under your arm. Time to [[tackle this problem at the source]].\n<<endif>>\n\n<<else>>You appear to have killed him, but the [[display|display]] on the device ticks away ominously.\n\nYou don't have time to [[decipher]] it right now. Probably best to space it at as soon as possible, but you'll need to deal with the rest first.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>The two in the Farm Suite seem to be making a lot of noise. You..\n\n[[Take the vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Take the corridor|Farm2]]<<else>>The two in the Farm Suite seem to be making a lot of noise. You creep along the <<if $lights eq "off">>darkened<<endif>>corridor, peering into the [[Farm Suite|Farm2]].<<endif>><<endif>>
@8‰::#)£\n\[email protected]‰::#)$\n\[email protected]‰::#)S\n\[email protected]‰::#)5\n\[email protected]‰::‡)5\n\[email protected]‰::=)5\n\[email protected]‰::~)5\n\[email protected]‰::-)5\n\[email protected]‰::-O5\n\n..It appears to be going down. Or up? But down seems more likely. Better hurry.\n\n<<return>>
You squeeze your tearducts and feel a dart shoot out from beside your left eye. The helmetted figure stumbles, his visor cracked around a jagged hole over one eye. He collapses silently onto the floor.\n\nYou blink a couple of times, tears running down your left cheek, and..\n\n[[Rush in to attack the others.|attack2]]\n<<if $fogged eq "true">>[[Fill the air with black fog.|fog1]]<<endif>>
You stab your fist forwards, under the soldier's helmet. The strike crumples the flexible mesh beneath, making him stagger back and cough. You take the opportunity to drive your knee up into his visor, smashing it and leaving him unconcious.\n\nA sharp blow from the butt of a weapon sends you spinning out of the group, and as you stagger upright your body is cut apart by a lace of invisible lasers and whirring projectiles.\n\n[[You have died.]]\n
<<set $enemies -= 2>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>>You clamber up onto the ceiling, treading casually across it until you estimate you're about level with the soldiers below. You reach out, and sure enough grasp two metal spheres. You twist sharply until you hear a muffled crack, then let them fall to the floor.\n\n<<if $enemies eq 1>>There is 1 enemy left. You head to the [[Engine Room|Engine2]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>You have dealt with all the enemies in this part of the ship. Time to deal with the other two.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>[[You head back along the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<endif>>\n\n<<else>><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>There are three more enemies left. You need to deal with the one back in the [[Engine Room|Engine2]]<<else>>All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. Your linkpad repors the ship will be sitting dead in space for weeks, with only the bare minimum of functions to keep you alive. With a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
The air stings, bringing tears to your eyes. You push your hands forward, and find a transparent, webbed canopy hems you into this space, blind with condensation.\n\nThe canopy splays open. You step [[out]].
The creature is sat beside you. You feel paralyzed with fear. Green skin covered with bulges. Veins running like haphazard tramlines across an arm. Fingers coated with mossy pads of hair. Iridescent compound eyes that seem to refuse communication with their incoherence, incongruously placed behind familiar eyelids.\n\n[[It looms over you.]]
[[An eternity of ice.]]
<<if $hasblanket eq "false" or $hasmug eq "false">>Too.. Cold..\n\n<<return>>\n<<else>>\n<<set $haslinkpad = "true">>You pick up the linkpad, pressing your thumb into the slight recess at the bottom. The computer takes a couple of seconds to identify and link up with your central nervous system, before giving you full access to the ship's [[library]].\n\n[[Where am I?]]\n[[Who am I?]]\n[[Why have I awoken?]]\n[[return|out]]\n<<endif>>
<<set $enemies -= 2>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>>You pirouette in the darkness, your long, dark vertibrae slicing a deep gash through the fog, and connecting with two metal spheres that fall to the ground with a thunk.\n\n<<if $enemies eq 1>>There is 1 enemy left. You head to the [[Engine Room|Engine2]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>You have dealt with all the enemies in this part of the ship. Time to deal with the other two.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>[[You head back along the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<endif>>\n\n<<else>><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>There are three more enemies left. You need to deal with the one back in the [[Engine Room|Engine2]]<<else>>All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. Your linkpad repors the ship will be sitting dead in space for weeks, with only the bare minimum of functions to keep you alive. With a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
<<set $groupattack = "true">><<if $port = "open">>The door spasms open, allowing you to burst into the room at a sprint. Five bulky figures of thick plate armour and expressionless helms turn at the sound. They raise their guns, but you..\n\n<<if $darts eq "true" or $fog eq "true">>[[Attack from afar.|attack1]]<<endif>>\n[[Leap upon them.|attack2]]\n<<else>>You wait for them to enter the ship through the gash, wiping sticky fluids from their visors. They look around, eventually spotting you in the alcove and raising their weapons<<if $lights = "off">>, torchlight flickering over you<<endif>>. You decide to..\n\n<<if $darts eq "true" "true" or $fog eq "true">>[[Attack from afar.|attack1]]<<endif>>\n[[Leap upon them.|attack2]]<<endif>>
<<if $port eq "open">>You come to an adjacent section of the ship. You decide to..\n\n[[Talk to them.]]\n[[Sneak and watch.]]\n[[Attack.]]\n<<else>>You reach the port. A long, angry scar is slowly being drawn across the pristine membrane, dribbling [[bright primary fluids]] as a hot beam of light is forced through it. You decide to..\n\n[[Talk to them.]]\n[[Sneak and watch.]]\n[[Attack.]]<<endif>>
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone = "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>>You [[skewer]] him from top to bottom, before letting him fall to the floor and landing catlike atop his body. <<if $enemies eq 3>><<if $skele eq "true">>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>><<else>><<if $enemies eq 4>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 1>>The enemy in the cockpit is making a lot of noise. You [[sneak carefully into the room|Follow the soldier into the Cockpit]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 0>>That was the last one. You stop a moment to consider your options. All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. You are going to be sitting dead in space for weeks, and with a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
<<if $what2 eq 1>><<set $what2 += 1>>"Patched you up with the ship's medical systems. Removed the implants suppressing parts of your brain, as well as your weapons systems until I know you're not about to attack me again.\n\n[["It'll take a while to get used to."|Questions]]<<else>>"That's up to you.\n\n"I can send you back to your people on my next refuelling run to a fringe star. My ship can grow you a shuttle, though they might not take kindly to that.\n\n"Or you can come with me. I think this trip is going to be my last. Next time we refuel I'm going to refit the ship for proper deep space travel, and see what the Galaxy next door is like. It'll be a long sleep, but it might be fun once we reach the other end.\n\nYour companions will have the same choice, of course."\n\n[["I want to go back."|End1]]\n[["I want to come with you."|End2]]\n[["I need time."|End1]]\n[["I had other questions first."|Questions]]
You will have curled claws that extend from your fingers, and spurs from your elbows and heels.\n\n[[inject|injecttalons]] [[nope|View your weapon infections.]]
Bugs\nBlood\nGore\nBody Fluids\nClaustrophobia\nHygiene\nBody Horror\nViolence\nMilitary PTSD\n\nLet me know if I've missed any and I'll add them to the list.\n\n<<return>>
You vault the remaining four feet, landing with all four limbs on the soldier's breastplate. He falls over with a cry as you push your digits deep beneath his visor, shattered glass and blood mixing around your thumbs.\n\nHis companion screams in terror, watching for a few seconds before making his choice.\n\nHe bathes the two of you in flame, your cries mingling as you curl together into a burning pyre on the Farm Suite floor.\n\n[[You have died.]]
<<set $reflexes = "true">><<set $slots -= 1>>You press the injection pad to your arm. The anaesthetic saliva of the creature prevents you from feeling any pain, but you know it's done its job when it drops onto the desk, withered and dead.\n\n[[You have Predictive Reflexes.|Best get prepared.]]
Upgrades to the basic human functions, mostly. Improved nutrient processing, memory, mental focus, respiration, circulation, healing, lifespan.\n\nA few spacefarer essentials allowing you to survive brief encounters with the void.\n\nA translation colony nested in the folds of your language centers.\n\nA [[HUD]] colony in your visual processing center.\n\n[[return|Best get prepared.]]
[[Bones of ice.|bones2]]
Your night vision package is only [[rudimentary]]. Proceed?\n\n[[yes|turnoffthelights]] [[no|linkpad]]
A combination of mild electroreceptive glands, increased spatial awareness and enhanced nueral networking would allow you to be aware of and counter many attacks far earlier and from a greater range of angles.\n\n[[inject|injectreflex]] [[nope|View your other infections.]]
<<if $who2 eq "1">>[["Who am I?"|Who2]]<<else>>[["Who are you?"|Who2]]<<endif>>\n<<if $where2 eq "1">>[["Where am I?"|Where2]]<<else>><<if $where2 eq "2">>[["Where are my friends?"|Where2]]<<else>>[["Where is my ship?"|Where2]]<<endif>><<endif>>\n<<if $what2 eq "1">>[["What have you done with me?"|What2]]<<else>>[["What are you going to do to me?"|What2]]<<endif>>
<<set $enemies -= 1>>You grasp the man's helmet and twist it sharply until you hear the muffled snap of his spine. His cry of surprise is cut off prematurely and he collapses to the floor, dead.\n\n<<if $enemies = 4>>You can hear his companion returning, muttering something.\n\n[[Hide in the remains of the coccoon]]\n<<if $setae eq "true">>[[Hide on the ceiling]]<<endif>>\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Hide in the vents]]<<endif>><<else>><<if $skele eq "true">>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to deal with the other intruders. Will you take the vents or the corridor?\n\n[[Vents|ventdeal]]\n[[Corridor|deal with the other intruders]]\n\n<<else>>You step around the swarm of repair mites bustling across the loam, making your way to [[deal with the other intruders]].<<endif>>
<<if $setae eq "true">><<if $port eq "closed">>You skim across the ceiling like black silk, your fingers adhering soundlessly to the smooth amber surface. You slip in behind the squad of soldiers as they shuffle warily in the entrance bay<<if $lights eq "off">>, torch beams stabbing into the darkness.<<endif>>\n\nAfter a moment of muted intercom discussion, they head down the main corridor, splitting at the intersection.\n\n[[Two go towards the Cryo Suite & Cockpit.|CryoCockEncounter]]\n[[Three go towards the Farm Suite & Engine.|FarmEngiEncounter]]\n<<else>>You skim across the ceiling like black silk, your fingers adhering soundlessly to the smooth amber surface. The soldiers have moved down the corridor<<if $lights eq "off">>, torch beams stabbing into the darkness, and seem to be splitting into two groups at the far end.<<else>>, and seem to be splitting into two groups at the far end.<<endif>>\n\n[[Two go towards the Cryo Suite & Cockpit.|CryoCockEncounter]]\n[[Three go towards the Farm Suite & Engine.|FarmEngiEncounter]]<<endif>><<else>><<if $port eq "closed">>You slip from alcove to alcove<<if $lights eq "off">>, concealed by the sheer darkness.<<else>>, keeping to the sparse shadows that have managed to find refuge from the blunt glare of the ship lights.<<endif>> The soldiers have breached the port, the gory wound already sealing behind them, bloody footprints trampling the mossy floor. After a muted intercom conversation, they move down the main corridor. They split up at an intersection.\n\n[[Two go towards the Cryo Suite & Cockpit.|CryoCockEncounter]]\n[[Three go towards the Farm Suite & Engine.|FarmEngiEncounter]]\n<<else>>You slip from alcove to alcove<<if $lights eq "off">>, concealed by the sheer darkness.<<else>>, keeping to the sparse shadows that have managed to find refuge from the blunt glare of the ship lights.<<endif>> The soldiers have moved far down into the central corridor, you can see <<if $lights eq "off">>dim sillhouettes in your night vision splitting into two groups.<<else>>them bathed in the warm shiplight, splitting off into two groups.<<endif>>\n\n[[Two go towards the Cryo Suite & Cockpit.|CryoCockEncounter]]\n[[Three go towards the Farm Suite & Engine.|FarmEngiEncounter]]<<endif>><<endif>>
<<set $enemies -=2>>The man aims the bulky machinegun at you, but you're already inside his guard, his wrist grasped in your hand. You whip him around in a graceful arc, keeping his trigger finger pressed tightly down. One of his squadmates collapses, his armour punctured with a direct hit. The rest of the rounds glance off the bulky armour of the troopers around you.\n\nThey hesitated to attack with their squadmate in your grasp, but the hail of bullets snaps them to a quick decision. In unison the remaining three raise their weapons, shredding both of you with a storm of automatic fire.\n\n[[You have died.]]
<<silently>><<set $enemies -= 1>><<if $enemies eq 3>><<set $cryocockdone eq "true">><<endif>><<if $enemies eq 0>><<set $cryocockdone eq "true">><<endif>><<endsilently>><<if $talons eq "true">>You slice through the man's midsection with your talons, leaving him gutted on the floor.<<else>><<if $tail eq "true">>You snip off the man's head with your tail, leaving him hunched over his companion.<<else>><<if $dart eq "true">>A dart through his visor makes quick work of him.<<else>>You punch his gun upwards, forcing the bullets away from yourself and up in an angry hornet line through his helmet and the connecting wall.\n<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>\n\n[[You move back into the Cryo Suite.|CryoRuined]]
<<set $defences = "clicked">>The ship has no internal-defence blisters ready-grown, and while it has blueprint colonies, they would take too long to develop.\n\n[[okay|linkpad]]
You squeeze your frame into the cramped passageway, crushing the carpet of repair mites that flow undeterred over and around you. A second later the second soldier stamps into the room, pointing his bulky black gun accusingly at the debris around his fallen squadmate. He doesn't see your little orifice, secreted high in the wall and hidden among the shredded tangle of tubing feeding into the coccoon.\n\nHe straightens up after a moment, and begins talking into his helmet. You know you need to strike fast.\n\n<<if $darts eq "true">>[[Shoot him with a dart|shootdart2]]<<endif>>\n[[Burst out of the vent]]\n[[Drag him into the vent]]
version.extensions['cyclinglinkMacro'] = {major:1, minor:0, revision:1};\n macros['cyclinglink'] = {\n handler: function (a, b, c) {\n var l = Wikifier.createInternalLink(a,null);\n l.className="internalLink cyclingLink";\n l.setAttribute("data-cycle",0);\n for(var i=0; i < c.length; i++) {\n var d = insertElement(null, 'span');\n if (i > 0) d.style.display="none";\n insertText(d,c[i]);\n l.appendChild(d);\n }\n l.onclick = function() {\n var u = Number(this.getAttribute("data-cycle"));\n this.childNodes[u].style.display="none";\n u = (u+1) % this.childNodes.length;\n this.childNodes[u].style.display="inline";\n this.setAttribute("data-cycle",u);\n }\n }\n }
<<set $vent = "true">>You squeeze yourself into the vent, over the vast swarm of repair mites. It's cramped and dark in here, but the neon glow of [[tracermite]] abdomens and your night vision give you enough light to navigate by.\n\nYou squeeze yourself around a tight corner, until you're peering over the lip of the vent, into the [[Cryo Suite|CryoCockEncounter]] below.
The other soldier storms into the room seconds later, letting out a cry of rage and disgust as he sees his comrade sprawled across the floor. A jolt of panic rushes through you as for a moment it looks like he will fire wildly into the canopy, but he collects himself and starts poking behind the control growths warily.\n\n<<if $setae eq "true">>[[You drop down onto his shoulders, flip around and messily dispatch him.|MessyDispatch]]<<else>>[[You dart out of your hiding place and messily dispatch him.|MessyDispatch]]<<endif>>
In the space between galaxies. Your trajectory has been rudely halted. Your exile has been postponed, it seems.\n\n<<return>>
version.extensions["toggletagMacros"]={major:1,minor:1,revision:0};macros["toggletag"]={handler:function(a,b,c){var p=e(a);var d=document.body;if(p){var t=p.getAttribute("data-tags");var i=t.indexOf(c[0]);if(b!="addtag"&&i>=0){var r=t.replace(c[0],"");p.setAttribute("data-tags",r);d.setAttribute("data-tags",r);}else{if(b!="removetag"&&i<0){var r=t+" "+c[0];p.setAttribute("data-tags",r);d.setAttribute("data-tags",r);}}}function e(f){while(f.parentNode&&!f.classList.contains("passage")){f=f.parentNode;\n}if(f!=document&&f.getAttribute("data-tags")){return f;}return null;}}};macros["addtag"]=macros["toggletag"];macros["removetag"]=macros["toggletag"];\n
<<set $enemies -= 2>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>>You sneeze a dart through the man's visor. He stiffens, toppling backwards like a tree into the black sea of repair mites. His companion lets out a cry of rage, tearing great orange gashes through the air with his flamethrower. \n\nYou get in close and <<if $talons eq "true">>drag your claws<<else>>punch<<endif>> upwards into his solar plexus. Your <<if $talons eq "true">>talons make a messy hole in his abdominal armour.<<else>>enhanced muscles leave a dent in his armour, drawing a cry of pain as his sternum cracks under the pressure.<<endif>>\n\nYou hold him close and snap his neck before he can recover from the blow.\n\n<<if $enemies eq 1>>There is 1 enemy left. You head to the [[Engine Room|Engine2]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>You have dealt with all the enemies in this part of the ship. Time to deal with the other two.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>[[You head back along the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<endif>>\n\n<<else>><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>There are three more enemies left. You need to deal with the one back in the [[Engine Room|Engine2]]<<else>>All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. Your linkpad repors the ship will be sitting dead in space for weeks, with only the bare minimum of functions to keep you alive. With a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
You make your way into the rear of the ship, slipping soundlessly down <<if $lights eq "off">>pitch-black<<else>> vividly coloured<<endif>> corridors.\n\nYou can hear nauseous gloops and rumbles coming from the [[Engine Room|Engine2]], reverberating down the corridor. You can hear the brittle crunch of smashed bone and wet footsteps from the [[Farm Suite|Farm2]].
Unexpectedly, the hatch opens. A half-dozen soldiers bristling with weaponry ready themselves. A half-dozen gun barrels are levelled to face you. \n\n[[You throw the bomb.]]
Hanging out in the nutrient tank with your squadmates, talking about the mission.\nThe briefing room.\nTension.\nPanic.\n\n[[You feel like you're about to be sick.|Why did you attack me?]]
<<set $enemies -= 2>><<if $enemies eq 2>><<set $farmengidone = "true">><<endif>>You curl down towards the floor and twist your body sharply; your tail arcs in a wide circle and divides the man at the knees.\n\nHe falls over backwards, and his companion bathes the spot you were in with orange gashes of flame. <<if $setae eq "true">>You leap up onto the ceiling, spinning vertically and bisecting him neatly.<<else>>You leap from the spot, vaulting over his shoulders and spinning your tail as you land, sending his head flying across the room.<<endif>>\n\n<<if $enemies eq 1>>There is 1 enemy left. You head to the [[Engine Room|Engine2]].<<else>><<if $enemies eq 2>>You have dealt with all the enemies in this part of the ship. Time to deal with the other two.\n\n<<if $skele eq "true">>[[Take the vents|VentsFarm]]\n[[Take the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<else>>[[You head back along the corridor|CorridorFarm]]<<endif>>\n\n<<else>><<if $cryocockdone eq "false">>There are three more enemies left. You need to deal with the one back in the [[Engine Room|Engine2]]<<else>>All enemies on the ship are dead, but the damage to the engine is substantial. Your linkpad repors the ship will be sitting dead in space for weeks, with only the bare minimum of functions to keep you alive. With a hostile ship beside you that's not a good position to be in. You need to [[tackle this problem at the source]].<<endif>><<endif>><<endif>>
They read as human, of an archaic lineage. They appear to have pushed their bodies as far back as they can without crawling into the ocean; No viral alterations, no rudimentary symbiotes, no realignment proxies. Basic, boring humans. Museum pieces. Their only upgrades read as [[phagocytes]].\n\nSome sort of Hygenoluddite sect, you'd wager. They appear to have dressed themselves in [[barbaric finery]] for their long voyage. \n\n[[Best get prepared.]]
The umbilical tunnel is eerie and lifeless. Dead ribs of steel flex against wide expanses of some sort of shimmering plastic. Your step falters for a moment; you've never, ever been anywhere so.. Carefully, clinically barren. It's like running through the skeletal remains of some long-dead robotic serpent. You force yourself on faster, the bomb bleeping away the seconds in the space between steps.\n\nYou see an octagonal hatch at the far end. It looks closed. You curse inwardly, and for a moment you think of just throwing the bomb at the hatch in desperation. Better than being obliterated. But you keep hold, hoping that there will be some panel, some emergency release.\n\n[[...|tunnel3]]